Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 2 - the aftermath of losing a loved one

The reality hasn't totally set in yet.

I do know that this am instead of being greeted anxiously by my sweet hound, we were met with silence - no jingling of his collar with tags, his tail flailing against the dresser, his head shaking with ears flapping letting us know it is a new day - nope, today was eerie, just silence and that moment when you wake up and wish it was just a bad dream and realize it is not.
We did of course have the cat meowing not only for his food but wondering where his friend is.
As I broach the kitchen at 6am to make the coffee, I am sadly greeted by an empty food bowl, an empty dog bed and no one to let out so that he can go to the bathroom, wander the yard and look for squirrels to bark at. I can't begin to express how much I use to love looking out into the backyard and seeing nothing but his tail wagging out the window.
It is so strange when you take a life source out of your environment - it completely changes the whole dynamic - living energy is an amazing, hard to describe, intangible force. Some life forces of course have more than others - Woody's was infectiously effervescent.

Off to work I go - not looking forward to coming home, as he won't be there to greet me. My husband and I usually always go to sushi on Friday night to celebrate the start of the weekend and spend some quality time with each other. Per a great friends suggestion, he is going to take me to the movies tonight - I am grateful, I do have that to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment